Thursday, September 17, 2015

Interesting Articles, Episode 1

I think I could churn out more blog posts if I could figure out how to come up with decent titles for them.

So, I created a LinkedIn for shits and giggles. I'm not really sure I want to connect this blog with it just yet (for various reasons, including my frequent vulgarity and the fact that my username on Google+ is Silvaria), but it's there. And so far, the biggest benefit I have seen from it is the trending news articles that are sorted based on interest.

Maybe I haven't been looking in the right places, but this is the first time I've found a collection of articles detailing the current state of the Software Development industry in one place. It is really easy to access and I've already found a couple of articles that I've enjoyed reading.

Here's one from Wired that I thought was interesting, and had a few really nice expressions that I hope to remember as I learn more.

This paragraph was one of my favorites:

Mahdavi joined WhatsApp about two years ago, after the startup was up and running, and its approach to engineering was unlike any he had seen—in part because it used Erlang and a computer operating system called FreeBSD, but also because it strove to keep its operation so simple. “It was a completely different way of building a high-scale infrastructure,” he said on Monday. “It was an eye-opener to see the minimalistic approach to solving … just the problems that needed to be solved.”

I don't know much about Erlang or Haskell except for the very basic descriptions of the languages, and I liked that the article mentioned that simplicity has its own drawbacks. But, as with anything, becoming proficient with a tool means learning its strengths and weaknesses, learning what it can do well and what it can't do at all, and learning exactly how to take advantage of that knowledge to achieve your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment