Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Update and Blabbering

I'm finding it pretty amusing that, after picking up K&R, I haven't been using King nearly as much. K&R is so concise that it teaches you a LOT in a small amount of time. King is much more expository in style. I think K&R is the best choice if you can keep up with them, but if you don't know what an operand is (or some other term that is used in K&R, I only used that as an example), you will probably cause yourself less grief if you go with a more detailed approach.

Now that I'm reading through, I'm finding that I can skip over huge sections of King. I think I may use King as an extra workbook, at this rate, but it is still good reading that doesn't assume that you already know what you're doing (example: declarations really do need to go before the statements every time. K&R assumes the reader knows this; King spells it out, just in case.).

I haven't posted here in a couple of days because I got into a creative rut, and because I got busy at work. The busy-ness at work comes and goes -- I'm thankful for the time I can spend on personal projects, but I do still have to pay attention to some things (and, occasionally, those things get overlooked because I'd rather be working on anything else coding... Heh...).

The creative rut is exciting, so I let it wrap me up for longer when I get stuck in it. These past couple of days have been filled with gaming, but also with writing. My fiance and I are putting ideas down on paper (at last!), and I'm excited to be weaving his thoughts and my thoughts together. We've been talking about this project for the better part of a month now, and it feels good to be making some solid progress on it. This is the same project that spurred my interest and dedication to learning to code in C.

Anyway, this is somewhat of a rambling post. I'm resisting the urge to monetize this blog, despite how popular it seems to be so far. I know how ads can kill something enjoyable... Of course, that's assuming my rambling is actually enjoyable to any of the people who stop by here haha.

Possibly going to do some exercises today! I'm going to make an effort, anyway! But a good friend is coming to visit, tonight, and there will be chinese buffet and Star Trek movie goodness. That may not leave much room for coding practice. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment